When you buy a two-wheeler in India, you compulsorily have to buy insurance for it too. There are two types of two wheeler insurance plans available – the third party plans and the comprehensive plans. While the third party insurance plans only cover the damages to a third party, the comprehensive cover offers a more wholesome coverage. Take a look at this article to understand how a comprehensive two wheeler insurance plan works.
Understanding a comprehensive two wheeler insurance plan
A comprehensive two wheeler insurance plan covers scooters and motorbikes. Under this plan, you can get the following covers:
- Permanent or temporary disability or death of the third party: If your vehicle is involved in an accident that causes permanent or temporary disability or death to a third party, a claim will be paid out. This will happen if the third party suffers an injury or dies.
- Permanent or temporary disability or death of the rider of the insured vehicle: A claim will also be paid out if the rider or the pillion of the insured two wheeler suffers a permanent or total disability or death in a road accident.
- Damages to the vehicle or property of third party: If you accidently damage the property or vehicle of a third party, the insurer will compensate for the financial losses.
- Damages to your own vehicle: Unlike a third party insurance plan, a comprehensive cover pays for the damages your own vehicle suffers too. You can get the claim for manmade disasters such as collisions, hate crimes, etc. You can also get compensation for natural calamities such as damages due to flooding and earthquakes.
- Legal expenses: The comprehensive insurance plan will compensate you for the legal expenses incurred if a third party drags you to court over a road mishap.
Advantages of buying a comprehensive cover
There are some very useful benefits of getting a comprehensive car insurance cover. As you can clearly see from the points mentioned above, a comprehensive cover offers a wide range of protection. With such a plan in place, you don’t have to worry about spending money from your own pocket as a majority of the problems are covered.
A comprehensive plan is especially suitable for those people who own expensive two wheeler models such as a Harley Davidson or a Ducati. Without insurance, you will have to spend a lot of money on the repairs even after a minor accident. So definitely get a comprehensive cover if you have an expensive two wheeler.
Exclusions in a Comprehensive two-wheeler insurance
- Damage to tyres (unless the vehicle is also damaged)
- Normal wear and tear and electrical or mechanical breakdowns
- Riding without a valid driving license
- Riding under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- When the two-wheeler is used for any illegal purpose
- If you ride your insured vehicle outside geographical limits
- If the vehicle is used for hire, carriage of goods, organized.
Buying a comprehensive two wheeler insurance plan
Buying a comprehensive plan for your two wheeler is a very simple thing to do. The plans are easily available online. You can even compare the various options in a few minutes and then make a suitable purchase. The insurance companies these days have good customer support teams so you don’t have to worry about the perils of not having an insurance agent around.
In a nutshell
It is a very good idea to invest in a comprehensive two wheeler plan. You will you get protection against all the damages and injuries suffered to yourself and your prized two wheeler. You will also be covered for the third party damages and injuries as well as the legal expenses. The premium of a comprehensive plan is slightly higher than a basic third party plan, but it is still worth buying the plan.