Flight cancellations and delays are a part of the routine. Airports are not the most comfortable places on Earth; most people suffering from flight delays find it extremely distressful.
Flight delays are common particularly during winter time when the weather conditions are extremely harsh for most countries.
The most efficient way to deal with it is to avoid it in the first place, and if that’s unavoidable you can always make a claim. Here are some ways in which you can minimize your chances of getting stuck at the airport:
- Take early morning flights.This means you can easily rebook later during the day.
- Avoid traveling to your small region from main hub airports. Airlines do not give high priority to jets flying into smaller regions because bumping them affects fewer passengers and saves airline costs.
- Before you book, check the previous performance of the route you’re taking to travel. This will help you know which flights usually get canceled a lot.
- Do not check in your bags. That would make it harder to rebook.
Even if you did everything the right way, there still might be a chance that you have to face unfortunate circumstances. Here are some things you can do to avoid further distress:
1. If it’s night-time, book a room
If you’re in for a long haul and flight delays are evident for quite a while, it is advisable that you book yourself a room especially if it’s later than 6 p.m. This mostly happens when the delays are weather related and the next flight is scheduled for tomorrow.
2. While you wait in line, call the airline
If they do actually pick up your phone, there a lot of ways they could prove to be helpful.
3. Refuse to move.
While you wait in line, become the immovable object. If you manage to make it to the front of the line, you should demand a new booking on another airline. This would be equivalent to asking a huge favor but if you are polite and persuasive enough, it will be very much possible. More often than not, they will heed to your request, mostly just because they want to keep the line moving.
4. Use an app to rebook
By downloading an app on your phone you can easily browse alternatives and book a flight quickly if your former flight gets canceled.
In the end, no matter what you do, there is always a chance that you have to wait at the airport for seemingly endless hours. If that happens you just have to go with the flow. What makes delays more uncomfortable, is the fact that most airline companies are cheaper now as compared to before and do not even offer drinks or food to its passengers.
Try to follow the above-mentioned tips in order to avoid suffering. If everything fails, just remember that everyone else is also dealing with the same kind of discomfort as you are and that eventually you will reach your destination.